Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash Bowls
Try something different with this easy vegetarian recipe. It’s a fact of life, everyone loves pasta. Unfortunately, pasta is loaded with carbs, calories, and gluten. This recipe takes virtually no effort and you won’t have to worry about sabotaging your daily calorie and macro goals. You might even think it tastes better than pasta!
1 spaghetti squash, medium-large in size
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 cup chickpeas
1 red pepper, chopped
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup chopped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400°C.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Tip: If the squash is too hard to cut, put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop out the seeds. Brush the halves with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- Place the squash halves on a baking sheet (open sides up) and roast for 45-50 minutes, or until they are soft. If you are short on time, place the halves open side down in a microwave safe dish with 1 inch of water and microwave for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the chickpeas, red pepper, and onion with the olive oil.
- When they are cooked, remove the squash halves from the oven. Use a fork to gently separate the spaghetti strings from the skin of each half.
- Divide the chickpea salad into two portions and place it into the bowls. Top with the fresh spinach and place it back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- When the spinach is wilted, remove from the oven and top with the feta cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!